Tuesday, June 17, 2008

The Night Before

Wrapped up work today and headed off to get the final few things ready. First thing was to change my bicycle seat to the one off my racing bike. My thinking is that I've already done several thousand kilometres on it, and while it may feel a little hard at the moment, it may be a better option long-term. Or possibly the first and worst decision and you'll be hearing about it the entire trip.

Went down to 'Bike Uncle' to pick up a box to pack my bike in for the flight. Some of you may already be familiar with 'Bike Uncle', the no-nonsense guy from the bike shop who sold me my first bike when I got to Singapore. I felt a little sheepish about going to get the box from him as I rode there on the bike I'm taking on the trip, a bike he didn't sell me, a bike he has told me each time I've ridden past - 'I would have got you better one'. [This is the same 'Bike Uncle' who, when I got a previous bike stolen and was walking home straight after said - 'You need new bike. I have. Just arrived. Second hand. Sell you cheap' - Went to the back of the shop expecting to find my bike sitting there, but it wasn't. So I said 'How'd you know I needed a new bike? To which he replied 'Bikes here always stolen, I knew you need new bike one day.]

'Bike Uncle' provided the box with a smile and refused any money and I head off down the middle of Joo Chait Road on my bike with a great box under one arm. I felt reassured by the number of horns blaring that all the drivers could see me and there was little chance one wouldn't and would accidently knock me over.

Now the bike is packed, the bags are packed, the house is packed and I have just a short sleep until everything is airborne and the real story can begin.
Don't forget to look over at 'The Narrow Shoulder' for a few of the facts.
Cpp

1 comment:

K-Hawk said...

You're all packed? My place is a mess....how is all of this stuff going to fit in this little bike pannier?

Ahhh...it's like the night before Christmas... not sure if I"ll be able to sleep tonight!

KH